Tips for Choosing the Best Wood for Your Project
Maybe it’s a simple deck project or something more intricate like a piece of custom furniture. No matter what the project, always begin with the best pieces of wood. Here’s what to consider:
- Defects in wood aren’t always bad. Just make sure they are from nature and not caused by abuse, insects, or chemicals. Many woodworkers appreciate defects for the unique characteristics they contribute.
- Do your homework when it comes to grades. Grades are determined by wood defects including the number, location, and size of these defects. The cleaner the wood equals a higher grade.
- A tree grain pattern is the direction that the tree’s cell fibers grow. Straight grain boards can add strength to a project while boards with varying grain patterns are used for their uniqueness and personality.
- It is so important to check for all the following: cupping, twists, bowing and cracks. Your selected boards need to be relatively straight and solid with no warping (cupping.)
- Moisture level of the lumber. Green wood has high moisture content and will split, twist and warp as it dries. It’s always important to use wood that has had time to acclimate and thoroughly dry.
Need help selecting just the right wood for your next home improvement project? Schutte Lumber is here for you. Give us a call at 888-470-4181, or just drop our lumber yard at 3001 Southwest Blvd in Kansas City, MO.