Different Ways to Protect Outdoor Wood Decks and Furniture
Fall is the perfect time to clean and protect your wood deck and patio furniture before the weather turns nasty.
- Inspect and repair any damage to the decking, stairs and railings before giving the entire area a good pressure washing. Store all furniture cushions and gently clean the wooden frames.
- Decide if you need a wood preservative, a water repellent or an all-in-one product called (obviously) a water repellent wood preservative.
- Federal environmental laws consider wood preservatives pesticides because they are formulated to kill mold, mildew, fungi and the insects that can damage wood – so read directions carefully.
- Wood water repellents are oil based products that prevent water from soaking into the lumber. Since the moisture level is reduced, the wood is less likely to crack and warp.
- The combination water repellent wood preservative is a good product to use on all decking whether left natural, painted or stained. If painting or staining make sure to coat all sides of the boards for maximum protection.
Stop by or contact Schutte Lumber online for any questions you may have concerning decking products. We want to be your Kansas City lumberyard!